9 TIPS FOR MORE EFFICIENT HOME COOLING
One of our PSI team members recently submitted these nine helpful tips for making your home’s cooling system operate more efficiently.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfort will permit.
- Make sure your attic is adequately ventilated to relieve heat buildup. If necessary, improve airflow by adding or enlarging vents.
- When building a new home or renovating an old one, choose light-colored roof shingles to reflect more of the sun’s heat.
- During moderate weather, don’t use the air conditioner unnecessarily.
- Draw blinds or drapes to block the sunlight during the hottest part of the day.
- Install awnings over windows exposed to direct sunlight.
- During the cooling season, don’t run kitchen and bath exhaust fans longer than necessary.
- Don’t place lamps, television sets or other heat-producing devices beneath a wall-mounted thermostat. Rising heat from that equipment may cause the air conditioning system to unnecessarily overcool your home.
- Clean the coils in your air conditioning system regularly to avoid major problems. Grease, dust, dirt, leaves and other debris can build up on coils and, over time, this can cause your condenser coils to ice up and shut down your system.